Burkina Faso Confirms Detention of 11 Nigerian Military Officers, Seizure of Air Force Aircraft [WATCH]

Burkina Faso’s military government has confirmed the detention of 11 Nigerian military personnel and the seizure of a Nigerian Air Force cargo aircraft that entered the country’s airspace without authorisation before making an emergency landing.

In a statement issued late Monday, the Alliance of Sahel States (AES) said the C-130 aircraft was compelled to land on December 8, 2025, in Bobo-Dioulasso following an in-flight emergency. The bloc said the aircraft, which belonged to the Nigerian Air Force, had flown over Burkinabe territory without the required clearance. The AES comprises Burkina Faso, Niger and Mali, all currently governed by military regimes.

___________________________




___________________________

Authorities said the plane was carrying two crew members and nine passengers, all of whom were later identified as Nigerian military officers. They are currently being held by Burkinabe security officials.

The AES condemned the incident, describing it as a “violation” of its airspace and sovereignty, and announced the launch of an investigation to determine the circumstances of the unauthorised entry. The bloc said the armed forces of its three member states had been placed on maximum alert.

It further disclosed that air defence and anti-aircraft units across the confederation had been authorised to neutralise any aircraft violating its airspace. The alliance described the Nigerian aircraft’s entry as an “unfriendly act” and a breach of international aviation laws, warning that strict measures were now in place to protect its territorial integrity and civilian population.


Share this story

Comments

Trending Stories On MEB

Uganda Shuts Down Internet as President Museveni seeks to extend 40 year rule

Trial of K!llaboi who allegedly mvrdered his Girlfriend to begin today

52 AAU Students Arrested at Midnight and Jailed over Kidnapping Protests [WATCH]

Negligence in a Nigerian Hospital caused the death of my 21 month old son - Chimamanda Adichie

X officially Suspends @twitter Account

Nigerian FG declares Public Holidays on December 25th, 26th & January 1st

Court grants former AGF Malami, Wife & Son 1.5 Billion Naira Bail

Bill Gates pays $8 Billion to ex-wife Melinda Gates as part of Divorce Settlement.

BOXOFFICE ON THURSDAY - Sean Combs: The Reckoning

Arsenal and England star Declan Rice banned from driving for 6 months

Most Read Stories From Past Month

Uganda Shuts Down Internet as President Museveni seeks to extend 40 year rule

Trial of K!llaboi who allegedly mvrdered his Girlfriend to begin today

Nigerian FG declares Public Holidays on December 25th, 26th & January 1st

52 AAU Students Arrested at Midnight and Jailed over Kidnapping Protests [WATCH]

Court grants former AGF Malami, Wife & Son 1.5 Billion Naira Bail

Anthony Joshua's driver to be prosecuted for crash that killed Joshua's 2 friends

Bill Gates pays $8 Billion to ex-wife Melinda Gates as part of Divorce Settlement.

BOXOFFICE ON THURSDAY - Sean Combs: The Reckoning

Negligence in a Nigerian Hospital caused the death of my 21 month old son - Chimamanda Adichie

Killaboi & Austa: The Billionaire Punter, The Model, and the Murder That Shook Social Media!